Friday, March 03, 2006

Unconscious Yarn Selection



The result of my trip to Seaport Yarn, 10 balls of Noro Kureyon in colorway 184. This is the yarn that's on it's way to becoming my Lady Eleanor from Scarf Style. I debated and went back and forth over my choice of yarn for this project. I saw the version knit with Southwest Trading Karaoke at Stream of Consciousness, I saw the version knit with Noro Silk Garden at Fig and Plum and I saw the color (in this project) on Tres Chic Veronique. I know that Laura at Stream of Consciousness doesn't like Noro very much, and I understand her criticisms (a lot of the colorways are "ruined" by one ugly color in the bunch, and it is thick & thin, which is annoying.) That said, however, I didn't feel that Karaoke held up to Noro in the color department. I had trouble-finding Karaoke at a LYS until I noticed it (after I had bought the Noro) at Knitty City. The yarn seems nice, it felt like a light cotton or maybe even linen, and the colors are subtle-- but it just wasn't right for Lady Eleanor.

I was wary about using Kureyon, but after I felt it, and tested it against my neck (it wasn't overly itchy for 100% wool); I decided to use it. Noro Silk Garden is softer, but I decided on the Kureyon for the superior color and to preserve some of the original "rustic" quality of the yarn used in the original. In the ball I've used so far there was a knot, but I easily broke the yarn and then felted the ends back together. The colorway is great. Perfect. I noticed when I got home how eerily similar the yarn colors are to the shag rug in my room (hence the title of this post and the unconscious color selection.)




I haven't had a chance to start the Lady yet, as I'm in the midst of midterms.



I did however start a project with my other purchase at Seaport, a hank of Brown Sheep in a Peacock blue color for some knitty Fuzzy Feet. I've also been knitting up some Debbie Bliss baby cashmerino in a fuchsia color (I'm too lazy to get up and get the exact color at the moment) that I had in my stash. I want to try to Embossed Leaves socks from the Fall 2005 issue of Interweave Knits. I'm going to stop at the LYS I don't like (but which is convenient) on my way to work and get some size 2 dpns so I can start those.


After working with all of that 100% wool yarn for Lady E & the Fuzzy Feet I needed to treat myself to something soft & squishy. I've got to do some mathematics on the socks, as the pattern specs are too small for my feet. Hopefully, I can manage to do the calculations correctly. Keep your fingers crossed!

More after midterms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home